develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language.datetime | Postings from September 2000

Re: RFC 99 (v3) Standardize ALL Perl platforms on UNIX epoch

From:
Andy Dougherty
Date:
September 15, 2000 08:57
Re: RFC 99 (v3) Standardize ALL Perl platforms on UNIX epoch
Message ID:
Pine.SOL.4.10.10009151142050.22849-100000@maxwell.phys.lafayette.edu
On Fri, 15 Sep 2000, Chris Nandor wrote:

> You can only avoid breakage with current scripts if you make no changes to
> the current facilities (which is what Andy proposed).

Well I have to admit that I was unaware that on Mac and VMS (without the
wizardry in vms/vms.c) the value returned by time() could jump behind your
back if you were running when DST kicked in or out.  If it were just
different absolute epochs, I would tend to oppose the proposal (and
recognize that I am probably in the minority and hence would gracefully
yield anyway.)  But this OS "feature" sounds to me like something that
Perl should hide from the user. So, Yes, I'm tending to think perl6
probably ought to muck with epochs if possible.

[Aside:  Does this mean that make(1) is useless for one hour after
standard time resumes?]

--
    Andy Dougherty		doughera@lafayette.edu
    Dept. of Physics