develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language.datetime | Postings from September 2000

Re: RFC 99 (v3) Standardize ALL Perl platforms on UNIX epoch

From:
Chaim Frenkel
Date:
September 14, 2000 19:20
Re: RFC 99 (v3) Standardize ALL Perl platforms on UNIX epoch
Message ID:
m31yymz9ac.fsf@csamnycln01.nyc.csam.com

>> This is a wider
>> problem then a fixed epoch for perl. Let's turn this around. What if
>> we are on a platform that doesn't use perl's epoch and we need to write
>> a value to a file?

CN> Yes.  What if?  That's what we're addressing.  Right now, you need to use
CN> something like Time::Epoch to do a conversion, or you use a non-ambiguous
CN> representation, such as you get with Date::Manip (which, BTW, I believe is
CN> broken in respect to MacPerl's epoch; that is, I think I needed to convert
CN> to Unix epoch before doing something with it).

You misundertood me. You have to know several different facts. The
current epoch, the machine epoch, the epoch that the file requires.

I really don't see that we need more than what is the difference between
the timestamp returned from the syscalls, and the unix (or whatever)
epoch.

If you want to adjust for timezones just calculate the constant. Which
since you are giving it in HHMM format you might as well just calculate
directly.

So what am I missing.

<chaim>
--
Chaim Frenkel					     Nonlinear Knowledge, Inc.
chaimf@pobox.com				               +1-718-236-0183