develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language.datetime | Postings from September 2000

Re: RFC 99 (v3) Standardize ALL Perl platforms on UNIX epoch

From:
Russ Allbery
Date:
September 13, 2000 14:22
Re: RFC 99 (v3) Standardize ALL Perl platforms on UNIX epoch
Message ID:
ylpum83s2x.fsf@windlord.stanford.edu
Michael G Schwern <schwern@pobox.com> writes:

> And if we're going to standardize on something, let's squeeze as much
> out of this as possible.  signed 64 bit integer and microseconds.  (I
> think that's another RFC)

I think it should be specified that the return value is seconds since Unix
epoch and the storage size be left unspecified, from the language
perspective.  On those platforms that support it, using 64 bits is
obviously a good idea.