develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language.datetime | Postings from August 2000

Re: RFC 99 (v2) Standardize ALL Perl platforms on UNIX epoch

From:
Alan Burlison
Date:
August 23, 2000 07:02
Re: RFC 99 (v2) Standardize ALL Perl platforms on UNIX epoch
Message ID:
39A3D959.10740CBE@uk.sun.com
Chris Nandor wrote:

> Interesting.  I still think we should have our own real 64-bit time,
> though, since not all platforms will be 64 bit (although by 2020 they may
> be), and perhaps not all of them will be LP64 (and I confess to not know
> what that stands for :).

Simple - LP64 = 'Longs and Pointers are 64 bit'.  There are several
other alternatives too, although most everyone seems to have settled on
LP64.  See the paper at
http://www.unix-systems.org/version2/whatsnew/lp64_wp.html

--
Alan Burlison
Solaris Kernel Development, Sun Microsystems