develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language.datetime | Postings from August 2000

Re: TAI time

From:
Russ Allbery
Date:
August 18, 2000 16:10
Re: TAI time
Message ID:
yld7j6go8c.fsf@windlord.stanford.edu
Tim Jenness <timj@jach.hawaii.edu> writes:

> I think this is a bit of a red herring. Presuambly the time on your
> computer depends on where you are synching from (if at all) - if you are
> synching to a TAI time server then you are fine.  In the worst case you
> are synching to the sys admins watch so the minor actual difference
> between UTC and TAI may be irrelevant in most practical applications

True.  It's worth bearing in mind that while there are some time sources
that are TAI (others are UTC), xntpd keeps UTC time and only kind of deals
with leap seconds.  So most Unix systems don't have an easy source of TAI
time.