develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language.data | Postings from September 2000

Re: RFC 328 (v1) Single quotes don't interpolate \' and \\

From:
David L. Nicol
Date:
September 28, 2000 15:49
Re: RFC 328 (v1) Single quotes don't interpolate \' and \\
Message ID:
39D3CAB9.FE5216EE@kasey.umkc.edu

I don't like it, and here's why:

> currently single quoted here docs don't interpolate C<\\> or C<\'>.

We already have a way to read in arbitrary literals.  I _like_ the
fact that C<q> allows backslash to be used to allow including the delimiter.

It works for any delimiter, too, not just single-quote.

Could I go for getting rid of C<\\> except directly preceding the delimiter?

I think not, since if you really need to quote a series of backslashes you
can do it using a here doc.