develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language.data | Postings from September 2000

Re: RFC 231 (v1) Data: Multi-dimensional arrays/hashes and slices

From:
Karl Glazebrook
Date:
September 25, 2000 15:30
Re: RFC 231 (v1) Data: Multi-dimensional arrays/hashes and slices
Message ID:
39CFD1FE.204171F7@pha.jhu.edu

so what is wrong with the statement '@y = 3*@x;' then ?

>   outside                          ---> inside

> About doing numerics with the current Perl: consider arrays as
> shapeless aggregates of whatever you can put there.  Vectors are not
> shapeless, so cannot be represented by arrays.

sure this is what we do with PDL now.

> Changing Perl in this respect will make one particular mode of
> operation a tiny bit simpler, but (without major changes to
> cryptocontexting - <PLUG> see for example my interview on perl.com
> </PLUG>) will make life much harder in other modes of operation.

I read your interview. Hope you get to the bottom of the whole
integrability thing sounds like fascinating work.

I think major changes are what we aree talking about here.

> Remember: do you do your system mainainance in Mathematica?  Why?
> Remember that Wolfram *wanted* you to do this?  Perl5 is much better
> balanced.  You are pulling the blanket to your side of the bed.

I am not sure what point you are trying to make about Mathematica? I
have read intevrviews with Woldfram ,he is clearky an egomanica and
thinks everything should be an expression, but I am not sure he
was arguing for system management in Mathematica.

Karl