develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language.data | Postings from September 2000

Re: RFC 246 (v1) - RFC 250 pack/unpack enhancements

From:
Glenn Linderman
Date:
September 18, 2000 13:04
Re: RFC 246 (v1) - RFC 250 pack/unpack enhancements
Message ID:
39C67604.34B98C8D@Linderman.com
Michael G Schwern wrote:

> RFC 142 may help out existing un/pack users, but does nothing to help
> in the understanding of un/pack by native speakers of Perl.
>
> I'm starting to think this is largely a documentation issue.

The existing documentation of pack/unpack is terse, and assumes a knowledge of
"other language" data layouts.  I think everyone can agree on that.

The need for pack/unpack is mostly to coexist with those other languages' data
structures.

If you know the other language, pack/unpack becomes less obscure.  If you don't,
it doesn't.  So maybe a good part of that is a documentation issue.

Another use of pack/unpack could be to [re]store Perl data in binary form, which
can sometimes be smaller than ASCII form (source that can be eval'd).  For this
purpose, non-other-language-knowledge documentation would be extremely helpful.
--
Glenn
=====