develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language.data | Postings from September 2000

Re: pack/unpack is damn unperlish. Explain them as Perl.

From:
Michael G Schwern
Date:
September 18, 2000 11:19
Re: pack/unpack is damn unperlish. Explain them as Perl.
Message ID:
20000918141910.M17371@athens.aocn.com
On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 10:54:04AM -0700, Peter Scott wrote:
> I don't see how you could possibly do it without that any more than you can
> use numbers without understanding the range limits of integers and floating
> point roundoff.

You ignore that incidental detail until later on in the docs and
assume that by the time users start writing programs with numbers >
2**31 they'll have read that far.

--

Michael G Schwern      http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/      schwern@pobox.com
Just Another Stupid Consultant                      Perl6 Kwalitee Ashuranse