develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language.data | Postings from September 2000

Re: logical ops on arrays and hashes

From:
Jeremy Howard
Date:
September 12, 2000 14:58
Re: logical ops on arrays and hashes
Message ID:
001001c01d04$b2445030$d5252ccb@optimaldecisions.com
<Removed -language x-post>

> Wouldn't it be very useful if all of the applicable polymorphic methods
> of RFC 159 would be overloadable for nD arrays (arrays becoming
> effectively instances of array objects)? I am not sure if this has been
> discussed before but I could think of a whole lot of applications. Often
> you might want to do just that with the suggested multidim arrays. Or is
> that already suggested in some other way?

Arrays are just lists of lists that happen to be declared with a simple
type. They are not objects.

Creating an array-like object with different behaviour could be achieved
through tie(), or by creating an object with RFC 159 methods defined.

...Or am I missing something here?