develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language.data | Postings from September 2000

Re: RFC 90 (v3) Arrays: Builtins: merge() and demerge()

From:
Jeremy Howard
Date:
September 10, 2000 22:09
Re: RFC 90 (v3) Arrays: Builtins: merge() and demerge()
Message ID:
001301c01bae$98de0340$d5252ccb@optimaldecisions.com
<Removed perl6-announce x-post>

Chaim Frenkel wrote:

> DC> I *still* think it should be "unmerge"! ;-)
>
> Hrmpf. It should be reshape.
>
> (Which would be its own inverse and saves a keyword.)

reshape() has already been proposed (RFC 148):

  http://dev.perl.org/rfc/148.html

However I like the Numeric Python reshape() semantics better:

  http://starship.python.net/~da/numtut/array.html

Nate (RFC 148 maintainer) and I are trying to find away of getting the
greater flexibility of his proposal with the more intuitive semantics of the
Numeric Python version. Hopefully we'll have an RFC or 2 on this shortly.

PS: How does one pronounce 'hrmpf'?