develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language.data | Postings from September 2000

Re: RFC 82 (v3) Arrays: Apply operators element-wise in a list context

From:
Jeremy Howard
Date:
September 9, 2000 18:48
Re: RFC 82 (v3) Arrays: Apply operators element-wise in a list context
Message ID:
002001c01ac9$3c690c80$d5252ccb@optimaldecisions.com
Doug Hunt wrote:
> Jeremy Howard wrote:
>
> >  - Mathematica (combines functional, declarative, and procedural styles;
> > implements memoization, lazy lists, and array notation)
> >  - Matlab (fast and simple array language)
> >  - C++ expression templates such as POOMA and Blitz++ (implicit looping
and
> > generalised slicing; loops unrolled and parse trees walked completely at
> > compile time resulting in zero run-time overhead)
> >  - FORTRAN (still the most widely used numeric programming language)
> >  - Haskell (effective data crunching in a purely functional paradigm)
> > </quote>
> >
> > I'd certainly add Numeric Python to this list now I've got to know it
> > better, and Java libraries such as:
> >
> >   http://www.vni.com/products/wpd/jnl/JNL/docs/intro.html
>
> Jeremy:
>
> You might also look at APL, a language which has been doing really funky
> N-dimensional
> array manipulation for longer than anyone...

Good point. I can't believe I forgot to mention it. Also worth looking at is
J, APL's successor:

  http://www.jsoftware.com/

with a free implementation available from:

  http://www.jsoftware.com/download/j405b.exe