develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language.data | Postings from August 2000

Re: 122 (v1): types and structures

From:
Tom Christiansen
Date:
August 24, 2000 09:22
Re: 122 (v1): types and structures
Message ID:
19054.967134132@chthon
>We adopt C base types, and C structure syntax.

THE HORROR!  THE HORROR!

C type declarations are pretty universally despised.  And why
do you want to get so unnaturally chummy with the machine?  That
seems pretty hamstringly.

In Class::Struct there's already a more perlish way of doing
"struct"s.

Now, if all you want to do is make it easier to get at packed
binary C data structures, that's a different matter.  I did
this for perl4 using c2ph.  A more revised mechanism that makes more
perl5ish sense could be devised--in fact, I've made proposals
about that, back quite some time ago.

As Larry has said, "If you want to program in C, then program in
C.  It's a nice language -- I use it now and then."

--tom