develooper Front page | perl.perl6.internals | Postings from October 2005

Re: Variable registers

From:
Klaas-Jan Stol
Date:
October 3, 2005 02:44
Re: Variable registers
Message ID:
4340FD95.3060804@home.nl
Leopold Toetsch wrote:

> On Oct 1, 2005, at 18:11, Klaas-Jan Stol wrote:
>
>> ah I thought so. just making sure. Then another question WRT this;
>> will there be a register allocator? In other words, an attempt to
>> minimize the number of needed registers? (in my simple code generator
>> implementations, any time I need a new register, I just increment a
>> counter, and use that, so in that case there is  No register
>> allocation scheme)
>

> Sure, the register allocator will remain. The "increment the counter"
> strategy is fine. The only difference will be that all lexicals and
> persistent variables, which are used around a function call, will be
> assigned to distinct Parrot registers. This strategy will solve the
> still lurking continuation bug that was discussed excessively here.
> Temps, not used around a function call, will have their registers
> reused as now.

maybe I misunderstand, but does the above mean that lexicals are stored
in registers, instead of storing them in  scratchpads? (with lexicals
being local variables in a function, with the addition of being also
accessible from nested functions)

klaas-jan