develooper Front page | perl.perl6.internals | Postings from November 2004

Re: Continuations, basic blocks, loops and register allocation

From:
Michael Walter
Date:
November 15, 2004 15:14
Re: Continuations, basic blocks, loops and register allocation
Message ID:
877e9a1704111515142ced6d1b@mail.gmail.com
On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 17:19:01 -0500, Matt Fowles <ubermatt@gmail.com> wrote:
> Which gives me an evil idea.  We could allow bytecode to specify that
> it wanted to start taking full continuations everywhere, but that
> these would never be used below it on the callstack.  Thus the regex
> engine could do this and not suffer too much efficiency loss for
> taking new continuations for every backtrack point.
This is not really evil - it's known as an "escape continuation" or
"weak continuation", or - more commonly - as an "exception".

Cheers,
Michael