develooper Front page | perl.perl6.internals | Postings from November 2004

Re: Continuations, basic blocks, loops and register allocation

From:
Dan Sugalski
Date:
November 15, 2004 09:34
Re: Continuations, basic blocks, loops and register allocation
Message ID:
a06200709bdbe97b762d0@[192.168.0.3]
At 9:16 AM -0800 11/15/04, Larry Wall wrote:
>On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 09:51:58AM +0100, Leopold Toetsch wrote:
>: Yes, as said I'm fine too with that. Perl/Python will do that anyway.
>: But what about other languages? Are we forcing these to be as dynamic as
>: the primary HLL targets?
>
>In Perl 6, any assumptions that cause inefficiency should be optional.

Okay, for this one if it's optional then we might as well not do it,
since it'll work so rarely all it'll be is a massive source of bug
reports. "Why did the sub that has no idea that I'm messing with its
lexical bindings only spottily and irregularly notice that I rebound
them?" I just don't want to go there.

Compilers can assume lexicals aren't going to get rebound outside of
their view. They're still going to have to deal with global rebinding.
--
				Dan

                                       teddy bears get drunk