develooper Front page | perl.perl6.internals | Postings from November 2004

Re: Continuations, basic blocks, loops and register allocation

From:
Matt Fowles
Date:
November 13, 2004 14:46
Re: Continuations, basic blocks, loops and register allocation
Message ID:
f2601a7f04111314464dd91e28@mail.gmail.com
Jeff~

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 14:08:12 -0800, Jeff Clites <jclites@mac.com> wrote:
> That's oversimplifying a bit, but I feel like those are the core issues
> (stemming from the observation of Leo's that continuations in effect
> give all variables a lifetime that extends to their entire block, in
> most cases).

This does not give all variables extended lifetimes.  It only gives
variables that are used in the exception handler such a lifetime.
Thus temporaries used in calculations can be safely overwritten.
Perhaps we should try adding the control flow arcs to the basic block
analysis and see how the allocator handles it then...

Matt
--
"Computer Science is merely the post-Turing Decline of Formal Systems Theory."
-???