develooper Front page | perl.perl6.internals | Postings from November 2004

Re: Continuations, basic blocks, loops and register allocation

From:
Matt Fowles
Date:
November 13, 2004 11:16
Re: Continuations, basic blocks, loops and register allocation
Message ID:
f2601a7f04111311167fe5342f@mail.gmail.com
All~

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 10:52:38 -0800, Jeff Clites <jclites@mac.com> wrote:
> On Nov 13, 2004, at 8:53 AM, Leopold Toetsch wrote:
> > We'd have just to force using lexicals for all vars
>
> Having variable-size register sets would solve this, since you could
> have fixed assignments of variables to registers, and not have to
> suffer the overhead of moving data between registers and lexical pads
> over-and-over. Well, it doesn't really "solve" it--just makes it
> workable.

I like the idea of mandating lexicals vars.  This would also eliminate
the need for spilling (I think), as the register allocator would only
need to refetch the lexical rather than save it off somewhere to be
restored later.

I get the feeling that this is equivalent to requiring exception
handlers to be a locally defined closure, which is another way we
could go about this.

Matt
--
"Computer Science is merely the post-Turing Decline of Formal Systems Theory."
-???