develooper Front page | perl.perl6.internals | Postings from August 2004

Re: Something to ponder

From:
Aaron Sherman
Date:
August 18, 2004 23:02
Re: Something to ponder
Message ID:
41244268.2010600@ajs.com
Felix Gallo wrote:

>Aaron writes:
>

>>Ok, this is starting to look like people speaking seriously about using
>>Intercal's COME FROM (http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ComeFrom)... can we just
>>step back and take a deep breath of AIR please? Seriously, this is
>>starting to creep me out.
>>

>Aspect Oriented Programming primer: ('come from' for Java)
>http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2004/01/14/aop.html

Actually, I was just talking about the COME FROM bits, not the AOP bits.
I happen to think that AOP is nearly impossible to implement in a way
that is maintainable, but if someone proves me wrong, then there it is.
It's spooky action at a distance, but it at least has some structure,
and you know why and when to expect it.

COME FROM is very different, and (as with much of Intercal) was created
specifically to be obtuse. Discussing it as if it's a useful feature
tends to creep me out because I get the feeling someone might actually
put it in a language I care about.