develooper Front page | perl.perl6.internals | Postings from August 2004

Re: Something to ponder

From:
Felix Gallo
Date:
August 18, 2004 15:45
Re: Something to ponder
Message ID:
20040818224456.GA54244@amse.pair.com
Aaron writes:
> Ok, this is starting to look like people speaking seriously about using
> Intercal's COME FROM (http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ComeFrom)... can we just
> step back and take a deep breath of AIR please? Seriously, this is
> starting to creep me out.

In case anyone reading this is getting confused, here are
some other interesting links:

Aspect Oriented Programming primer: ('come from' for Java)
http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2004/01/14/aop.html

The original intercal specification (a must read; this is
the version without the taint of esr):
http://www.muppetlabs.com/~breadbox/intercal/intercal.txt

I don't know why Aspect Oriented Programming would creep you out.
It seems to have a moderately devout following amongst a certain
sect of Java programmers, and certainly there are places where
it's clearly a ... well, I won't say a good idea, but at least
a comprehensible one.  Being able to implement AspectJ 'natively'
rather than via a set of C++-like preprocessor hacks is not
necessarily a bad thing.  Even the fact that esr already did it
in a joke language is neither here nor there.

Anyway, Parrot could never implement COME FROM for real, because
it doesn't support the notion of STEP:

20 COME FROM 70 STEP 20

Felix