develooper Front page | perl.perl6.internals | Postings from October 2002

Re: [perl #16077] 'assign' opcode and unmorphing

From:
Steve Fink
Date:
October 29, 2002 21:03
Re: [perl #16077] 'assign' opcode and unmorphing
Message ID:
20021030050321.GP2103@foxglove.digital-integrity.com
On Aug-08, Peter Gibbs wrote:
> # New Ticket Created by  Peter Gibbs
>

> Attached patch implements Dan's new 'assign Px,Py' opcode, which basically
> does Px->vtable->set_pmc(Py).
>
> set_pmc has been implemented in perlundef, perlint, perlnum, perlstring
>
> Also, all changes of destination vtables have been removed from the above
> vtable - PMCs of those four types now retain their types permanently.
>
> This required some significant alterations to pmc.t, as a lot of the tests
> assumed that PMCs would morph themselves. A test for 'assign' for
> the supported PMC types has also been added to pmc.t.
>
> PerlUndef now silently ignores all set operations, much as the Perl5 'undef'
> does when used as an lvalue. This could also be a singleton PMC ??

I applied the safe bits of this patch. The semantics of this are still
being hashed out. I will tag this in RT as applied, but not resolved.