develooper Front page | perl.perl6.internals | Postings from October 2002

Copyright notices and license stuff

From:
Dan Sugalski
Date:
October 26, 2002 12:18
Subject:
Copyright notices and license stuff
Message ID:
a05111b13b9e097305b07@[63.120.19.221]
Folks,

On Tuesday I'm going to go through and get the copyright notices and
license stuff sorted out. This includes setting everything to be
copyright YAS, and the license info (if any) in the individual files
that are part of the core to get yanked in deference to the global
license.

If anyone objects, this would be the time to make it known. I'll get
your code removed from the repository so it's not an issue.  Code in
the icu/ and languages/ directories will not be affected. Just about
everything else will be, at least potentially.

Please note that we're seriously considering moving to either a BSD
or MIT style license for Parrot. (Over, to my great amazement, no
objections whatsoever from the FSF) If you've provided code and
object, this would be a good time to make your objections known. (We
will be contacting everyone who's e-mail address is in a commit
message in the repository before we do this) Note that objection here
won't result in code yanking, so that's OK if it really bothers you.

One thing we will definitely be doing is officially restricting the
scope of the license leakage. Parrot's license will explicitly not
cover generated bytecode, nor will it cover the internal
representation of anyone's source, much in the way that gcc's license
doesn't apply to the object files it generates (and unlike the way
gcc's license does apply to its internal representations of things)
Note that this won't affect the license and rights of other people's
code--if a bytecode file has bytecode that came from GPL'd source
(that was not parrot core), then the GPL would still apply to it. We
can't and certainly don't want to affect other people's source
licenses, just our own.
--
                                         Dan

                                       teddy bears get drunk