develooper Front page | perl.perl6.internals | Postings from October 2002

Scratchpad confusion

From:
Allen Short
Date:
October 20, 2002 14:51
Subject:
Scratchpad confusion
Message ID:
20021020.165144.233688742.washort@twistedmatrix.com
The ops described in PDD 6 and docs/parrot_assembly.pod for
scratchpads appear to be subtly different from the ones actually in
core.ops. In particular, i was led astray by the docs referring to the
"newpad" op and core.ops implementing "new_pad". which is it supposed
to be? =)

I started investigating scratchpads because I'm interested in
improving the scheme compiler. I'd agree with Sean O'Rourke's comments
(http://archive.develooper.com/perl6-internals@perl.org/msg12722.html)
-- the current ops seem too limited; in particular, I dont see how one
would save a scratchpad with a function definition, or modify the
toplevel scratchpad.  Looking beyond Scheme, it appears to me that
other languages would need more flexible handling of scoping as well;
Common Lisp, for example, keeps functions in a separate namespace from
other variables. Being new to Parrot hacking, could someone point me
at the rationale for making scratchpads a special case, rather than a
PMC?

Allen