develooper Front page | perl.perl6.internals | Postings from June 2001

Re: The internal string API

From:
Bart Lateur
Date:
June 28, 2001 17:50
Re: The internal string API
Message ID:
a5knjtcu3b3ch6etjj4fp2nrel8ns3ikbj@4ax.com
On Tue, 19 Jun 2001 14:51:43 -0500, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:

>But a locale is a collection of user preferences.  How I want
>my dates to be formatted, how I want my strings to be sorted.

That's not right. If I do a text conversion from Windows to Mac, I would
want to source to use the CP-1522 locale, and the output the MAc-Roman
locale. If I have a file in French, and a file in Chinese, I want one to
be treated as French, and the other as Chinese.

If this can't be done, I don't need locale's. I'll make my own kludges
thank you very much.

--
	Bart.