develooper Front page | perl.perl6.internals | Postings from June 2001

Re: The internal string API

From:
Nick Ing-Simmons
Date:
June 20, 2001 10:24
Re: The internal string API
Message ID:
20010620172421.503.12@dromedary.ni-s.u-net.com
Jarkko Hietaniemi <jhi@iki.fi> writes:
>> Taiwanese read traditional chinese characters, but PRC people read
>> simplied chinese. Even we take the same data, and same program (code),
>> people just read differently. As an end user, I want to make the decision.
>> It will drive me crazy if Perl render/display the text file using
>> traditional
>> chinese just because it was tagged as "Big5".
>
>Perl will (probably, whispers he, crossing his fingers) never
>translate data that far.  Perl (5) does not "display" chr(0x1234) to
>me using Unicode fonts, it just pushes the octets to a file
>descriptor/handle.  Unicode is language-neutral.

Perl may not, but I assume someone will be fool enough to give it a GUI.
perl5.7.1+/Tk803.???-to-be will now make a stab at rendering Unicode
(not a very good one I am the 1st to admit which is why it isn't released!).

It would be good if Tk-for-perl6 did not have to break the rules or
provide its own hooks for meta data and could use "the" string API.

--
Nick Ing-Simmons
http://www.ni-s.u-net.com/