develooper Front page | perl.perl6.internals | Postings from June 2001

Re: The internal string API

From:
David L. Nicol
Date:
June 19, 2001 14:14
Re: The internal string API
Message ID:
3B2FBF68.F0BD849A@kasey.umkc.edu
Dan Sugalski wrote:
> Hong Zhang wrote:
>
> > I don't see the core should support language/locale in this detail.
> > I deal a lot of mix chinese/english text file. There is no way to represent
> > it using plain string, unless you want to make string be rich-format-text
> > -buffer. Current locale or explicit locale parameter will suffice your goal.
>
> On the other hand, the case of mixed-data strings was one that hadn't
> occurred to me. With that in mind, it's a far less useful thing to tag data
> with.

If the internal string API is a tree instead of a contiguous memory block,
the tagging could be done at the node or branch level.

Besides, you get nondestructive inserts.