develooper Front page | perl.perl6.internals | Postings from June 2001

Re: The internal string API

From:
Jarkko Hietaniemi
Date:
June 19, 2001 13:23
Re: The internal string API
Message ID:
20010619152226.L20013@chaos.wustl.edu
> Taiwanese read traditional chinese characters, but PRC people read
> simplied chinese. Even we take the same data, and same program (code),
> people just read differently. As an end user, I want to make the decision.
> It will drive me crazy if Perl render/display the text file using
> traditional
> chinese just because it was tagged as "Big5".

Perl will (probably, whispers he, crossing his fingers) never
translate data that far.  Perl (5) does not "display" chr(0x1234) to
me using Unicode fonts, it just pushes the octets to a file
descriptor/handle.  Unicode is language-neutral.

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen