develooper Front page | perl.perl6.internals.api.parser | Postings from December 2000

Re: Now, to try again...

From:
Chaim Frenkel
Date:
December 18, 2000 07:38
Re: Now, to try again...
Message ID:
m3ofy9yc1y.fsf@csamnycln01.nyc.csam.com

NC> I'm assuming that for performance reasons a parser-beast written in C would
NC> have code to do this conditionally compiled (like the -DDEBUGGING stuff)
NC> so that serious production perl wouldn't have the slowdown, but the perl
NC> you embed in your favourite editor would. It could even tell you the
NC> precise character (rather than line number) that it barfed on. It could
NC> run perl -c on your script without it ever leaving your editor's buffer.

NC> Not sure how you get such information back out from the API, but I suspect
NC> that making it possible to do this would need some new hooks in the API.

If I understood some of the earlier discussion. All of the
intermediate pieces/work product are supposed to be well defined
(i.e. part of the API)

So having line and offset information available in the output could be
made available.

<chaim>
--
Chaim Frenkel					     Nonlinear Knowledge, Inc.
chaimf@pobox.com				               +1-718-236-0183