develooper Front page | perl.perl6.internals.api.parser | Postings from December 2000

Re: Backtracking through the source

From:
Dan Sugalski
Date:
December 13, 2000 20:29
Re: Backtracking through the source
Message ID:
5.0.1.4.0.20001213232522.021538e0@24.8.96.48
At 02:17 PM 12/13/00 +0000, Nicholas Clark wrote:
>On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 03:33:16PM -0500, Dan Sugalski wrote:
> > Good integration with source filters may well solve a large chunk of our
> > little language problem. They're a pain and a half to write now but if we
> > can get them easier to write that'd be a good thing. ('Specially if we can
> > manage to provide a set of tweakable filters--perhaps one Forth-ish, one
> > LISP-ish, and maybe one APL-ish for the UTF-8 enabled crowd...)
>
>What, so I can set a source filter to (say) "match only on barewords
>that are in locations where builtin keywords would be recognised?"

Well, I was thinking more that your filter would just get all the text
until it decided it was at the end of what it was interested in,
transforming it to real perl in the process. Your filter would presumably
get everything until it decided it was done.

Whether we want filters to be a little more selective is another question
entirely. (I think so, but I don't know what I'd think we should do for it)

					Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk