develooper Front page | perl.perl6.internals.api.parser | Postings from December 2000

Re: the mutant beast (was Re: Backtracking through the source)

From:
Simon Cozens
Date:
December 2, 2000 00:20
Re: the mutant beast (was Re: Backtracking through the source)
Message ID:
20001202082005.B16255@pembro33.pmb.ox.ac.uk
On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 08:42:57PM -0500, Bradley M. Kuhn wrote:
> I believe that to do a true port to the JVM (e.g., supporting
> eval($STRING)), we'll need to implement a bootstrapping parser for the
> parser code in Java.

Uhm, and then in every other language we port it to. Are you *sure* that's the
right approach?

> My concern is that the more integrated the lexer, parser and tokenizer are
> integrated, the harder it will be to reimplement in other languages.

Why? It's just code. I can't understand why porting one big bit of code is
insurmountably more difficult than porting three slightly smaller bits.

--
It's a short step from using alt.binaries.warez.protocol-droids.c3p0 to
Palpatine seeing a post along the lines of: "CA|\| NE1 0N Th]5 BB0ARD T3Ll M3