develooper Front page | perl.perl6.internals.api.parser | Postings from November 2000

Re: Backtracking through the source

From:
Simon Cozens
Date:
November 29, 2000 11:07
Re: Backtracking through the source
Message ID:
20001129190738.A3563@pembro33.pmb.ox.ac.uk
On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 02:02:31PM -0500, Dan Sugalski wrote:
> I'm really thinking that the lexer, parser, and tokenizer can't be anywhere
> near as separate as we'd like. I think we're going to end up with a rather
> odd mutant beast. Hopefully one that's understandable by reasonably sane
> people...

This would *honestly* be my preference; I think it would be far easier to
write and understand than anything else. So long as it's nicely re-entrant we
should be fine. My only worry is, how do we reconcile this with the idea of
Perl having an easily modifiable grammar and being a good environment for
little-language stuff?

--
?warning: write might change good version of `/dev/null'
    - plan9 has a bad day