develooper Front page | perl.perl6.compiler | Postings from December 2004

Re: 700 tests for PGE

From:
Markus Laire
Date:
December 20, 2004 04:00
Re: 700 tests for PGE
Message ID:
41C6BEBD.1080801@laire.info
Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> I'm getting errors from the test script itself, there are lines such as
>
> # 65: ^ abc     y       $&
> p6rule_like('abc', '^', qr/0: <\Q\E @/, 're_tests 35/$0 (#35)');
> # 66: $ abc     y       $&
> p6rule_like('abc', '$', qr/0: <\Q\E @/, 're_tests 36/$0 (#36)');
>
> which cause my test script to produce...
>
> $ perl t/harness t/p6rules/re_tests.t
> t/p6rules/re_tests....syntax error at t/p6rules/re_tests.t line 106, near "0: <\Q\E @"
> syntax error at t/p6rules/re_tests.t line 108, near "0: <\Q\E @"
> syntax error at t/p6rules/re_tests.t line 236, near "1: <\Q\E @"
 >
> I suppose the problem could be with my perl installation (5.8.0, RH9)

I don't get those errors with 5.8.3, SuSe 9.1 Personal
If those are caused by '@/' which seems a bit like array, then it would
be easily fixed by addind space between @ and /.

Other 'special' syntax which I invented was for tests which only test a
position, not value:

# 131: ()ef	def	y	$-[0]	1
# 132: ()ef	def	y	$+[0]	3 # SKIP
p6rule_like('def', '()ef', qr/0: <.* @ 1>/, 're_tests 97/$0 (#98)');
# 133: ()ef	def	y	$-[1]	1
# 134: ()ef	def	y	$+[1]	1 # SKIP
p6rule_like('def', '()ef', qr/1: <.* @ 1>/, 're_tests 98/$1 (#99)');

 > Also, the PGE test harness itself isn't sacred -- if there are
 > functions or other features we could add to make this sort of testing
 > easier, I'm all for it.

Currently the script is written in such a way that it's trivial to
output tests in different syntax, should that be changed.

I was wondering if it would make sense to add the original 're_tests'
file to parrot distribution, with a script which autogenerates
're_tests.t' from it. This way it would be possible to update the script
if testing-format is changed, or if some bigger mistakes are seen.

Of course small errors in 're_tests.t' file could be fixed manually, but
if testing-format it changed, then those changes would be lost when file
was autogenerated again.

--
Markus Laire
<Jam. 1:5-6>