develooper Front page | perl.perl6.compiler | Postings from November 2004

Re: First public release of grammar engine

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
November 20, 2004 03:33
Re: First public release of grammar engine
Message ID:
20041120001817.GM3291@plum.flirble.org
On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 04:01:54PM -0700, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> I've just committed the first draft of a Perl 6 grammar engine to
> the parrot repository (in compilers/p6ge).  What you'll find there
> is still at a somewhat early stage of development, I'm releasing it
> now so that people can begin commenting and suggesting improvements
> to the framework.

Working code. This will shut the nay-sayers up.
(Why do I doubt this?)

> =head1 Known Limitations

> Lastly, error handling needs to be improved, but this will likely
> be decided as we discover how P6GE integrates with the rest of
> Parrot.

$ ../../parrot demo.pir
input /pattern, string to match, + to continue match, ? to print pir,
/
Unrecognized character at offset 1 (found '')
Segmentation fault

Is this a known limitation? [Done after Andy's patch went in]
Blows up the same way on x86 Linux and x86 FreeBSD. OS X gives "Bus error"
instead.

Nicholas Clark