develooper Front page | perl.perl6.announce.rfc | Postings from September 2000

RFC 358 (v1) Keep dump capability.

From:
Perl6 RFC Librarian
Date:
September 30, 2000 23:42
Subject:
RFC 358 (v1) Keep dump capability.
Message ID:
20001001064208.14238.qmail@tmtowtdi.perl.org
This and other RFCs are available on the web at
  http://dev.perl.org/rfc/

=head1 TITLE

Keep dump capability.

=head1 VERSION

  Maintainer: S. A. Janet <stosh@eskimo.com>
  Date: 30 Sep 2000
  Number: 358
  Version: 1

=head1 ABSTRACT

To simplify distribution of programs in binary form,
support for dump should be kept.

=head1 DESCRIPTION

This would immensely aid distribution of code from one Linux, Windows,
etc. machine to others without requiring all the recipients to be able
to install Perl, compile and install modules required by the program,
and configure their hosts so that Perl find the modules.  There are
also times when pre-loading and pre-processing large amounts of data
are desirable.

=head1 IMPLEMENTATION

RFC 267 wants dump eliminated mainly because it is a common name for
user subroutines, bit also because it can be accomplished with a kill
signal. I really do not care if dump is renamed, but I believe keeping
the capability is in perl's interest for greater acceptance and use.

=head1 REFERENCES

None.