develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from August 2023

Re: I partially disavow (was Re: PPC Elevator Pitch for Perl::Types)

From:
Avery Adams
Date:
Re: I partially disavow (was Re: PPC Elevator Pitch for Perl::Types)
Message ID:
CAMc_1Lfhq0D0XhwzVdbJ-dWHrNA8nNk1fxJCGAxGn7M+RxODBQ@mail.gmail.com
Brett,

I would like to respond to this as an impartial observer who sees good
points in both projects. Ovid clearly had a well-thought-out, (to the best
of my knowledge) factual email, with real examples of behavior, and very
valid technical questions, presented in a civil way. The restraint in his
email to keep his personal feelings out of it and keep it to the facts is
quite clear. This is despite attacks on his personal project as "fake
types" and the implication that his goal is thus invalid, which it is not,
just because it is a different goal. Could Ovid have avoided any comments
about a specific person? Maybe he could have. But if he had, valuable
context to the development and organization of Perl::Types would have been
missing. I remember reading his email and thinking "Wow, he put a lot of
thought into that to keep it civil despite feeling personally attacked by
Will!"

How did you respond to his clearly deeply thought out email? You responded
with personal attacks, calling a civil discussion "garbage", calling Ovid
"prideful and envious" (for having technical concerns), attacking the name
of someone else's project (how is that relevant?), and saying technical
questions are FUD despite the fact they still haven't really been
addressed. You also don't have authority to control who responds to what on
a public mailing list.

I'd like to call your attention to a few points in the CoC that you posted:

   - "Stick to the facts while avoiding demeaning remarks, belittling other
   individuals, sarcasm, or a presumption of bad faith." Have you done this?
   Perhaps Ovid could have done better in his remarks on Will, but you've been
   far more demeaning and attributed far more bad motives than Ovid did, which
   brings me to the next point:
   - "Responding in kind to incivility is not acceptable." If you see
   something you feel is incivil, it is your duty to respond to it with
   civility. You clearly did not do this.

In short, please stop. This kind of behavior is unacceptable on the mailing
list. If you have concerns about what Ovid said, take it up with moderators
and him in a far more civil way. Ovid was, in my opinion, civil. You
clearly were not. Please do better.

Thanks,
Avery