develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2023

Re: Is it time for Test2 to go to core?

From:
Alexander Hartmaier
Date:
May 2, 2023 20:37
Re: Is it time for Test2 to go to core?
Message ID:
CAB49QrY3=XSrY6VL08JV9h0uF1JfhtE42vmksNyAvnD9hgJ+qw@mail.gmail.com
On Fri, Apr 28, 2023 at 3:21 PM Chad Granum <exodist7@gmail.com> wrote:

> A while ago I decided not to fight a battle to get any module into core. I
> am still not sure I have the willpower for the fight. But I have gotten
> several requests from people such as Paul Evans (LeoNerd) to bring
> Test2::Suite into Core. There has been some call to let people use
> Test2::Suite, which contains most of the stuff that makes Test2 useful, in
> CORE for a while now.
>
> So, I am going to get the ball rolling. I am in favor of Test2::Suite
> being in core. Obviously this needs a discussion, and best I can tell that
> should happen here and not a PPC since I am not proposing syntax changes?
>
> In any case, after talking to LeoNerd and Haarg, I have stripped down the
> non-core deps as much as possible. The only non-core dep that is not
> optional is Term::Table which was written specifically for Test2::Suite,
> and Test2::Suite is not viable without it. All other non-core deps are
> optional.
>
> So the following 2 cpan dists would need to be pulled in:
>
>    1. Test2::Suite
>    2. Term::Table
>

> I will respond to technical questions. But I am not going to engage in the
> political back and forth that often happens in these discussions. If the
> group decides it goes to Core I am ready and willing to take on everything
> that comes with making it Dual Life, as I already do with Test-Simple. If
> the group decides not to do this, I will leave it to others to argue the
> point, and I will abide by the final decision.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Chad Granum

A big +1 from me!
I'm using Test2::V0 since years for all my new CPAN modules and it makes
life sooo much easier!
Especially for testing parts of JSON API responses.

Thank you!

I'd even love to see some of the comparison functions like 'is' usable in
non-testing code as it is serves like what smartmatch was envisioned to
become.