develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2022

rfc tracker review, 5.37.4

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
September 23, 2022 14:50
Subject:
rfc tracker review, 5.37.4
Message ID:
bd34a798-8d73-4c12-bd41-d4c9373bdc36@betaapp.fastmail.com
Porters,

I said I'd send a monthly post-blead-release email on the status of any open proposals on the RFC tracker <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hVOS7ePuLbVkYcf5S-e_eAodj4izm9Cj7AVs25HvngI/edit#gid=2054807862>.  Here we go, group by status.

*Draft Review*

This is the status we want to be shortest.

*yield true <https://github.com/Perl/RFCs/pull/16>*:  Last week, we (PSC) agreed we'd do something, but not who would do it, so it wouldn't get done.  So it goes.  The thing is "update this to follow Dave M's very simple rules, then mark it Implementing".  Ovid submitted this, so I am not in a rush to just edit his PR, but:  *Hey Ovid!*  Mind if I edit this document into a form that I promise we can accept, whereby "if this lexical pragma was in effect at EOF, then when required, it'll act like it evaluated true"?

*Exploratory*

In this phase, PSC is responsible for moving things forward.

*source::encoding <https://github.com/Perl/RFCs/blob/main/rfcs/rfc0007.md>*:  This is definitely hung up on me, mostly in that I should talk to Karl about a final agreement on what can be done, if anything, that is worth doing.  This is in danger of stalling out.

*english name aliases <https://github.com/Perl/RFCs/pull/22>*:  Discussion on this continues, with the big question being:  what do we do about strictures?  I think PSC needs to encourage discussion or issue a decision for this to progress to Implementing or fail out of the system.

*enhanced /xx <https://github.com/Perl/RFCs/pull/17>*:  This is a weird one, and seemed to have gotten into the GitHub repo but nothing else, another victim of Weird Process.  PSC should engage with Karl directly, and I will do this.

*Implementing*

During this phase, the proposer or other named implementor is responsible for moving the proposal forward. The PSC will only review proposals in this status when work is delivered or when status updates cease.

*optional chaining <https://github.com/Perl/RFCs/pull/23>*:  This is waiting on an implementation we can test as something to include with perl.

*drop support for ' as package separator <https://github.com/Perl/RFCs/pull/18>*:  This is waiting on an implementation we can test as something to include with perl.

*template strings (qt) <https://github.com/Perl/RFCs/pull/19>*:  This is waiting on an implementation we can test as something to include with perl.

*new module loading function <https://github.com/Perl/RFCs/blob/main/rfcs/rfc0006.md>*:  There was a tentative implementation of this <https://github.com/Perl/perl5/pull/20316>, which PR has now been closed.  I wonder, though, whether the implemented code is worth starting from for a next go.

*overload for join + substr <https://github.com/Perl/RFCs/blob/main/rfcs/rfc0013.md>*:  This is waiting on an implementation we can test as something to include with perl.
Testing

During the Testing phase, the PSC and the proposer (or implementor) will be working together and communicating regularly to keep track of what work remains to complete the testing phase.

*lexical export*:  This is in blead.  We need to decide whether it's tested enough, and see what practical use we can make of it.  I (rjbs) will look at making a Sub::Exporter plugin that uses it.

--
rjbs