develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2022

PSC #079 - 2022-09-16

From:
book
Date:
September 23, 2022 10:15
Subject:
PSC #079 - 2022-09-16
Message ID:
Yy2HOFnCUsJyKhhP@kapow.home
Present: Paul, Philippe, Rik

## RFC Review

Following the changes to the RFC spreadsheet[1] (we're using the
new/updated process set up by Rik), we did a proposal review, to assess
the state of the various proposals.

[1] https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hVOS7ePuLbVkYcf5S-e_eAodj4izm9Cj7AVs25HvngI/

RFCs updated this week:
* enhanced /xx on regex (does not have a number yet), moved to
  Exploratory
* optional chaining (RFC 0021), moved to Implementing (needs an
  implementor)
* template strings (qt) (RFC 0019), moved to Implementing (needs an
  implementor)
* drop support for ' as package separator (RFC 0015), moved to
  Implementing (Rik to poke N. Mendoza about it)

Our plan is to review the RFCs every week.

## Discussion about the "vision" for Perl

Philippe brought up the topic, as he felt it had come up recently on the
list. It had also been on his mind for some time.

Some of the discussion revolved around the fact that we are primarily a
volunteer organization, and can't force anyone to do any work. The PSC
might steer and set a direction, but if there's no power in the engine
we're not going to go anywhere. Having an officially published "roadmap"
might set the expectation in readers' minds that the plans will turn up
eventually. We can't force that to happen.

The summary of the RFC statuses is the closest we have to a vision for
Perl. It's a list of ideas at various stages of design that we think
could be valuable additions to the language.

We agreed that sending a summary of the RFCs after every development
release would help publicize the currently active RFCs, and help drive
engagement at the earlier stages of the design.

Once sufficiently designed, every RFC needs an implementor to reach the
Accepted status. We lamented a bit about the very limited number of
people able to contribute to the core, and wondered how to nurture more.

--
 Philippe Bruhat (BooK)

 There is no greater magic than knowing exactly who and what you are.
                                                 (Moral from Groo #2 (Image))