develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2022

heads up about 5.37.4: Stop on first syntax error

From:
demerphq
Date:
September 9, 2022 16:54
Subject:
heads up about 5.37.4: Stop on first syntax error
Message ID:
CANgJU+WXZLF6q02wNj3GUqBcyrkR0dyO5wqwQb=tuSaVMS_WAw@mail.gmail.com
As of this release we will stop parsing after most syntax errors. This
means the error storm of old will be replaced by actionable error
messages. This also may mean that code that tests for errors may see
different results. It also means that older perl hackers whose eyes
are trained to ignore most of the error output may find it a touch
jarring. Please give it some time to get used to it, I suspect you
will come to like it.

Also, please let me know if you encounter an error that you think
should have stopped the parse process. The current mechanism for
deciding when to do so is crude, and I will be auditing the other
cases in the coming days, but if you notice something egregious please
let me know.

See:
https://github.com/Perl/perl5/pull/20168

For details on the PR.