develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2022

RE: perl -we '$00' dies in 5.32

From:
"Konovalov, Vadim" via perl5-porters
Date:
RE: perl -we '$00' dies in 5.32
Message ID:
PH0PR19MB50366440F3BCA7DD9EE436878A959@PH0PR19MB5036.namprd19.prod.outlook.com
From: Philippe Bruhat (BooK) <book@cpan.org>

> However, these variables prefixed with 0 sound very fragile and confusing to me.
>
> (The following examples were run under perl 5.32.1.)
>
>     $ perl -E '$0999
> = 999; say $0999'
>     Numeric variables with more than one digit may not start
> with '0' at -e line 1.

All your examples are about $999, which is a special variable for regexps.
Neither $00 nor $0 has any relation to regexp, so behaviour is predictably different.

Not a big deal, actually.

I accept the point that my usage of perl is often non-common, with lots of non-standard approaches, so no-one else uses $00, so dropping $00 support is ok.

Internal Use - Confidential