develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2022

RE: perl -we '$00' dies in 5.32

From:
"Konovalov, Vadim" via perl5-porters
Date:
RE: perl -we '$00' dies in 5.32
Message ID:
PH0PR19MB5036651C6D0C1EC819371ADA8A909@PH0PR19MB5036.namprd19.prod.outlook.com
The $00 behaviour change - was it mentioned in perldelta?
Ok, my impression of backward compatibility of perl worsened once again.

The more modern perl is, the worse it executes my scripts.

Is it me - getting old?

Internal Use - Confidential

-----Original Message-----
From: Konovalov, Vadim via perl5-porters <perl5-porters@perl.org>
Sent: Friday, July 22, 2022 5:54 PM
To: James E Keenan; perl5-porters@perl.org; demerphq (demerphq@gmail.com)
Subject: RE: perl -we '$00' dies in 5.32

[EXTERNAL EMAIL]

> From: James E Keenan
> On 7/22/22 09:23, Konovalov, Vadim via perl5-porters wrote:
> > What this behaviour degrade was for?
> >

> #####
> commit 60267e1d0e12bb5bdc88c62a18294336ab03d4b8
> Author:     Yves Orton
> <demerphq@gmail.com>
> AuthorDate: Thu Feb 6 08:40:57 2020 +0100
> Commit:     Yves
> Orton <demerphq@gmail.com>
> CommitDate: Mon Feb 10 04:18:34 2020 +0100
>
> toke.c -
> handle ${10} properly - Issue #12948
>
> ${10} and $10 were handled differently, this patch makes them be
> handled the same. It also forbids multi-digit numeric variables from
> starting with 0. Thus $00 is now a new fatal exception

Thank you for finding this and letting me know.

I wonder whether it was possible to improve $10 processing whereas for the old behaviour to remain for $00 ?

I accidentally catched this error, and haven't noticed until today. I wonder how much users in the wild will catch the same error after upgrade?
Notice that CPAN modules will unlikely use $00, however random users could use it in their scripts.

Internal Use - Confidential