develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from June 2022

Re: Pre-RFC: images in Pod

From:
Dan Book
Date:
June 20, 2022 18:48
Re: Pre-RFC: images in Pod
Message ID:
CABMkAVV0v-uvLM+CPzHc7aHtfCGYnN6tw8bws6ACBDEhdKH=jQ@mail.gmail.com
On Mon, Jun 20, 2022 at 2:35 PM Neil Bowers <neilb@neilb.org> wrote:

> One of my concerns with P<…> is that it’s confusable with <P> in HTML, so
> people will see it and their brains will think it’s some kind of paragraph
> thing.
>
> So then I thought, why don’t we make it IMG<…> instead? I know all
> formatting codes are currently single letters, but is there a hard reason
> why they’re single letters?

Yes, because there is no whitespace requirement surrounding formatting tags
so they can be embedded in any position. IMG<...> would be
indistinguishable from IM G<...> (without the space).

-Dan