develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from June 2022

Re: Pre-RFC: images in Pod

From:
Tony Cook
Date:
June 11, 2022 07:45
Re: Pre-RFC: images in Pod
Message ID:
YqRHovDk1vvMpW0O@venus.tony.develop-help.com
On Thu, Jun 09, 2022 at 11:24:53PM +0100, Neil Bowers wrote:
> Q2: should we support non http URLs? For example a CPAN dist might want to bundle images for the doc (and have them turn up on MetaCPAN), and the Perl distribution might want to include images for diagrams: P<illustration of method resolution|images/mro.png>. That’s like to get hairy, so one option is to say that v1 just supports http URLs and worry about relative paths if there’s a call for it.

The problem I see with only http URLs is, at least for CPAN
distributions, you can't link to the image included in the
distribution.

You *could* link to the image in some previous version, or on github,
but relative links keep your distribution more self-contained.

It also reduces privacy exposure - if say metacpan kept linking
through to some linked image (rather than to a cached copy) a CPAN
author could track views of their documentation on metacpan.  This is
a problem with the existing =for html method.

Tony