develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from June 2022

Re: Pre-RFC: images in Pod

From:
Tony Cook
Date:
June 10, 2022 04:41
Re: Pre-RFC: images in Pod
Message ID:
YqLKe3Z5ODh9iyaa@venus.tony.develop-help.com
On Thu, Jun 09, 2022 at 06:57:58PM -0400, Dan Book wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 9, 2022 at 6:25 PM Neil Bowers <neilb@neilb.org> wrote:
>
> > Revisiting this after something of a gap … here’s the basic case:
> >
> > P<There can be only one|https://highlander.org/macleod.png>
> >
> > Q1: how should this be rendered if an image can’t be displayed? Someone
> > commented that styling should be left to formatters, but I think podspec
> > should propose a standard rendering as text.
> >

> This isn't up to the formatter, it should always render the equivalent of
> the image tag. "can't be displayed" would be discovered when the browser
> attempts to fetch the image and whatever normal behavior would occur.

Not every renderer produces HTML as the final form.

Rendering to PDF, whether it's via LateX or HTML, will need access to
the images to finish the process.

Tony