develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2022

Re: 5.36.0: bareword filehandles, indirect

From:
Tony Cook
Date:
May 15, 2022 00:04
Re: 5.36.0: bareword filehandles, indirect
Message ID:
YoBDjWCrrKTg5bBX@venus.tony.develop-help.com
On Sun, May 15, 2022 at 12:41:10AM +0100, Paul "LeoNerd" Evans wrote:
> In recent memory, 5.34 released the try/catch syntax that very soon
> after release, someone found a bug in it.

Chained comparisons also had a serious bug, though like try/catch that
only mattered if you tried to use the new syntax.

> In both of these cases, they are failures because the proposed idea was
> insufficiently-well tested in a wide variety of situations before being
> declared releaseable. We're worried if the same is going to happen with
> indirect.

I do think the indirect change is less risky, both places that check
the indirect feature are directly connected to parsing indirect method
calls.

Tony