develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2022

perl 5.36.0 RCs are coming

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
May 14, 2022 15:04
Subject:
perl 5.36.0 RCs are coming
Message ID:
e2893949-4433-4ab7-b58a-779c74d5b072@beta.fastmail.com
Porters,

Hi!  5.36 is nearly here!

Sorry for the recent radio silence.  If you haven't been following along with my personal life, the summary is: it's been crazy.  First, three weeks of sickness in my house, then off to Australia for two weeks for work, then moving house.  My home office in the new place is now sufficiently unpacked that I can take some time to send this email and do some more work on v5.36.0 release prep.

Here's the situation:
 * we put bareword_filehandles back into the v5.36 bundle; its removal had nasty side-effects we hadn't previously seen
 * we're asking about whether we should put "indirect" back, too; see my email earlier today
 * there are two BBC-related blockers <https://github.com/Perl/perl5/issues?q=is%3Aopen+label%3ABBC++-label%3Anon-5.36-blocker>
   * one is "DBIx-Class needs a new release", which isn't really blocking us — but it'd be great to see that happen!
   * the other is a report about Math::Calc::Parser <https://github.com/Perl/perl5/issues/19639>; it looks like we probably won't consider this a blocker
 * there are two other blockers <https://github.com/Perl/perl5/labels/Release%20Blocker>:
   * one is about building on AlmaLinux, which I suspect may be not p5p's problem; Neil B. will be following up
   * one is about reverting Configure changes related to no-taint; I'm waiting for a follow-up from LeoNerd here
My next step is to convert my perldelta branch into an RC0 branch, which I'll use to do the pre-release documentation updates.  Once we have a bit more of the above cleared up, I'll merge it and we'll have RC0.  It's been a while since I've done this, so I may be rusty.  Still, I think it'll all come right.

For now, I am going to unpack some more boxes, then begin work on that RC0 branch.

If you, dear reader, think there are other blockers, please create GitHub issues and sing out.

--
rjbs