develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2022

Re: 5.36.0: bareword filehandles, indirect

From:
Christian Walde
Date:
May 14, 2022 13:56
Re: 5.36.0: bareword filehandles, indirect
Message ID:
op.1l5vpyi9ydyjqt@xenbox.cihq
On Sat, 14 May 2022 15:38:50 +0200, Ricardo Signes <perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org> wrote:

> Our question is:  Can anyone out there attest to significant use of "no feature 'indirect'" in real code without >difficulty?  At present, we are leaning toward putting it back and to producing a testing regimen for "what would it >be like to turn this on in existing code, and would it break anything other than what we want it to?"

I use https://metacpan.org/pod/strictures in every piece of code i can excuse it in, both privately, deployed to cpan and at work, and make sure i have indirect (and multidimensional and bareword::filehandles) installed.

So far `no indirect` has only ever been a boon for me, because it converts confusing breakages by parses that i did not intend, into clear errors of "the perl parser did some surprising wack shit here".

Asking matt, haarg and others related to the development of that module and its upstreams is likely to yield information such as you are asking for.

--
With regards,
Christian Walde