develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2022

5.36.0: bareword filehandles, indirect

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
May 14, 2022 13:39
Subject:
5.36.0: bareword filehandles, indirect
Message ID:
1fe70b74-787a-4c49-99a1-032bf47d863f@beta.fastmail.com
Porters,

Today, I'm applying LeoNerd's patch to put bareword_filehandles back into the v5.36 bundle.  We do this with sadness, but it's the right thing to do.  Yesterday on the PSC call, we wondered whether we should *also* put indirect back.  We'd rather not, but the question is how thoroughly it has been tested for weird behaviors.

Remember: we're about to ship v5.36.0, and to encourage everybody writing new code on it to use "use v5.36" to get the best Perl they can.  What if removing indirect *isn't* giving them the best Perl, not because indirect is good, but because its removal causes problems we haven't yet tested.

Our question is:  Can anyone out there attest to significant use of "no feature 'indirect'" in real code without difficulty?  At present, we are leaning toward putting it back and to producing a testing regimen for "what would it be like to turn this on in existing code, and would it break anything other than what we want it to?"

--
rjbs