develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2022

Re: Backport token-split-by-macro fix?

From:
Steve Hay via perl5-porters
Date:
March 2, 2022 00:40
Re: Backport token-split-by-macro fix?
Message ID:
CADED=K5N6ftE49gMLHCOGmCxucW3f=RbTf_bGJ8BXa+J2+Ccvw@mail.gmail.com
On Tue, 1 Mar 2022 at 23:33, Leon Timmermans <fawaka@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 1, 2022 at 6:10 PM Felipe Gasper <felipe@felipegasper.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>>         New clang versions (e.g., 13.0.0) cause a torrent of warnings with current production Perl releases.
>>
>>         These warnings make maintenance of XS modules a challenge--since whatever errors the compiler may have thrown are interwoven amidst maybe thousands of these warnings. I’ve been working around the issue by prefixing a #pragma onto my .xs files, but I had to paw around for a bit to find that. Others may not have that patience, and it also comes at the cost of now having a warning when gcc, not clang, does the compilation.
>>
>>         A recent GitHub issue (https://github.com/Perl/perl5/issues/18780) appears to have addressed this in blead. Would a backport of this fix to current production releases be possible?
>>
>>         Thank you!
>

> IMO this falls under «Patches that fix anything which prevents or seriously impacts the build or installation of perl.», and as such is candidate for inclusion in maint releases.

Agreed, and I'm planning an RC2 already, so let's get this in if possible.

Which commit(s) are we talking about? Presumably
7169efc77525df70484a824bff4ceebd1fafc760 (skip using gcc brace groups
for STMT_START/END)?

But khw found a problem with that and reverted the Devel::PPPort part
in e08ee3cb66f362c4901846a46014cfdfcd60326c (Partially Revert "skip
using gcc brace groups for STMT_START/END") and then fixed it
correctly in 8a0214ab98bbdd4da29dcb1e76877b3d24788e2e (Devel::PPPort:
Fix STMT_START { ... } STMT_END).

So I imagine we would want all three commits? Is that all, or are
there more pieces to this puzzle?