develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2022

Re: Backport token-split-by-macro fix?

From:
Leon Timmermans
Date:
March 1, 2022 23:33
Re: Backport token-split-by-macro fix?
Message ID:
CAHhgV8gr8_jtAkt5W7m7HNzKPnHxuXtY3eSx1-OmQ7WTZOk12Q@mail.gmail.com
On Tue, Mar 1, 2022 at 6:10 PM Felipe Gasper <felipe@felipegasper.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>         New clang versions (e.g., 13.0.0) cause a torrent of warnings with
> current production Perl releases.
>
>         These warnings make maintenance of XS modules a challenge--since
> whatever errors the compiler may have thrown are interwoven amidst maybe
> thousands of these warnings. I’ve been working around the issue by
> prefixing a #pragma onto my .xs files, but I had to paw around for a bit to
> find that. Others may not have that patience, and it also comes at the cost
> of now having a warning when gcc, not clang, does the compilation.
>
>         A recent GitHub issue (https://github.com/Perl/perl5/issues/18780)
> appears to have addressed this in blead. Would a backport of this fix to
> current production releases be possible?
>
>         Thank you!

IMO this falls under «Patches that fix anything which prevents or seriously
impacts the build or installation of perl.», and as such is candidate for
inclusion in maint releases.

Leon